Germiston commuters torch two train carriages after fatality causes delays

One of the carriages that were torched by angry commuters in Germiston.

One of the carriages that were torched by angry commuters in Germiston.

Published Oct 16, 2018


Johannesburg - Angry commuters torched two train carriages at Germiston Station in Ekurhuleni in frustration over being late for work for a second day running after scheduled trains experienced delays on Tuesday morning. 

The delay was caused by an early morning commuter fatality at Denver station in Joburg. The man was run over by a train while crossing the railway tracks between platforms.  

The Star visited the Denver train station shortly after the commuter, who has been identified as 37-year-old Lindokhuhle Mazeka, was killed. Angry commuters said Mazeka was killed while jumping train tracks because he could not use a subway which links platforms at the station.

The body of  Lindokhuhle Mazeka lies between tracks at Denver train station.

According to Ward 65 councillor Lindani Zulu the tunnel, which emits a stomach-churning stench, has been flooded for several months now.

Stoppages caused by the commuter's death angered passengers, who, it is alleged, started burning carriages at Germiston station.

#TrainFires: Two trains have been set alight at Germiston Station. This follows delays after a commuter was knocked down and killed at Denver in Joburg. PRASA officials are preventing journos from reporting. Commuters are frustrated that they're late for work. @TheStar_news.

— Khaya Sibulele Koko (@khayakoko88) October 16, 2018

 A row ensued and commuters allegedly started fighting with police and security personnel.

Emergency services were on the scene, but could not immediately douse the flames as there was apparently no water at the train station.

Mazeka's brother Ayanda expressed devastation at the loss of a man he called a mentor. He said the rest of the family in Msinga, KwaZulu-Natal, was not coping with the news.

"My brother has two children in school. I'm not sure how we are going to raise them now, but we'll just have to make a plan," a heartbroken Ayanda said. 


The Star