News

Race against time: Ekapa mine rescue enters critical phase

Staff Reporter|Updated

Rescue operations continue at Ekapa Minerals’ Joint Shaft Mine in Kimberley following a mud rush that trapped five mineworkers underground.

Image: Sandi Kwon Hoo / DFA

A DESPERATE, round-the-clock rescue operation is continuing at Ekapa Minerals’ Joint Shaft Mine in Kimberley after a mudslide in the early hours of February 17 trapped five mineworkers nearly 890 metres underground.

A joint media statement released on Friday by the Department of Mineral and Petroleum Resources and Ekapa Minerals said the incident – described as an “unpredictable event” and a “major mud rush” – immediately halted all production at the Joint Shaft Mine, as every available resource was diverted to the search and rescue effort.

Since then, the mine has become the centre of an intense multi-agency effort involving mine rescue teams from across the country, government oversight, union representatives, and an outpouring of community support that has ranged from primary school pupils delivering energy drinks to local businesses providing meals.

Mineral and Petroleum Resources Minister Gwede Mantashe undertook an oversight visit to the mine on Friday, accompanied by Northern Cape Premier Dr Zamani Saul. Senior leadership from the Department of Mineral and Petroleum Resources (DMPR) remains on site and continues to receive regular briefings as the operation evolves.

Six mine rescue teams from different mining companies are now working together in a rotational joint effort, alongside specialised Mine Rescue Services (MRS) and proto teams. Their primary focus is dewatering two distinct areas on the 890-metre level, as well as drilling in an attempt to reach the last known location of the missing workers.

Additional pumps and underground infrastructure have been installed to significantly increase pumping capacity, but progress remains difficult.

“Pumping of water remains challenging, as there is a continuing and fluctuating inflow of water into the affected areas since the event occurred in the early hours of 17 February,” Ekapa confirmed.

Dewatering is a critical step before teams can begin loading out mud and rock to gain physical access to the affected areas. That loading will commence as soon as conditions are deemed safe.

Families briefed on rescue efforts

Ekapa general manager Howard Marsden received the families of the five trapped mineworkers in the rescue control room on Wednesday afternoon. There, relatives were able to view the search plans and watch the ongoing underground rescue efforts on closed-circuit television.

“For now, all available resources are focused on finding our colleagues. Thorough investigations, both internally and by the Department of Minerals and Petroleum Resources will follow later to determine what caused the event,” Marsden said.

According to the statement, families are being regularly briefed and supported, with counselling, communication and assistance forming a key part of the response.

“At this point, the time passed since the event is a major concern but there is no change in approach to the rescue activities and we are not giving up hope,” Marsden said.

Production stopped

According to Marsden, all production at the Joint Shaft Mine was “immediately stopped” following the incident. Since February 17, all activity at the mine has been limited strictly to search and rescue operations.

Employees who are not directly involved in the rescue have been instructed to remain at home.

Ekapa’s broader Kimberley operations – CTP, Surface Operations and Wesselton Mine – are not linked to Joint Shaft and are located between four and eight kilometres away. Production at those operations continues.

National mining industry mobilises

Further strengthening the response, the Minerals Council South Africa has deployed a senior team to assist Ekapa management with co-ordination and oversight.

According to the statement, Union officials are also receiving formal updates from management and have also taken part in a physical inspection at the 890-metre level together with DMPR officials.

Other mining companies remain on call, with search-and-rescue teams from five companies currently working side by side with Ekapa teams underground.

Community support boosts rescue effort

Beyond the technical and operational challenges, Marsden said the human support pouring in from Kimberley and beyond has become a powerful source of strength for those on site.

“Primary school children delivered energy drinks for the rescue teams. A restaurant in Kimberley has provided two meals per day for the search and rescue teams. Others brought cold drinks and snacks for our people at the mine,” Marsden said.

“The safety of our employees and the effectiveness of the rescue operation remain Ekapa’s highest priority. At this point, the time passed since the event is a major concern but there is no change in approach to the rescue activities and we are not giving up hope,” he added.

Ekapa thanked the public, the mining industry, and all stakeholders for their overwhelming support, saying the company will continue to provide everything possible for a successful completion of the search and rescue operation, which remains in full effect.