News

Zimbabwe pushes to extradite its nationals from South Africa over US$4 million Bulawayo heist

Jonisayi Maromo|Published

Abraham Temayi Vumbunu and Elijah Temayi Vumbunu, who are in custody in South Africa as Zimbabwe pursues their extradition over the US$4 million (about R75 million) Ecobank heist in Bulawayo.

Image: Facebook

An extradition bid is under way in South Africa to send brothers Abraham Temayi Vumbunu and Elijah Temayi Vumbunu back to Zimbabwe to face charges linked to the US$4 million (about R75 million) Ecobank robbery in Bulawayo.

State-owned The Herald newspaper reported that the two suspects remain in custody in South Africa following their arrest in July 2025, with legal proceedings unfolding to secure their return to Zimbabwe.

The Vumbunu brothers are wanted in connection with the October 2024 robbery at an Ecobank branch in Bulawayo, where approximately US$4 million was stolen in what was described as one of the country’s largest cash heists in recent years.

At the time of the robbery, IOL reported that Zimbabwean authorities had roped in Interpol amid suspicions that some of the suspects had fled across the border into South Africa. The cross-border investigation later led to the arrest of the brothers in South Africa.

According to The Herald, the Zimbabwe Republic Police are working closely with South African authorities to ensure the extradition process complies with the legal requirements of both countries before the suspects can be formally handed over.

The development comes after another suspect in the same case was previously extradited from Botswana to Zimbabwe to face related charges, signalling intensified regional cooperation in tracking down those allegedly involved in the high-profile robbery.

Further court proceedings in South Africa are expected as the extradition application progresses.

In 2024, IOL reported that police in Zimbabwe had confirmed that investigations are in full swing following the robbery case, which happened in the City of Bulawayo, where the US$4 million was stolen.

In a statement seen by IOL, spokesperson for the Zimbabwe Republic Police, Commissioner Paul Nyathi confirmed the incident.

“The Zimbabwe Republic Police confirms that investigations are in full swing in connection with an alleged armed robbery case which occurred late this afternoon on (Thursday) October 3, 2024 at a financial institution at corner 9th Avenue and Fife Street in Bulawayo when a cash-in-transit security team was approached by six suspects,” said Nyathi.

He said the circumstances around the robbery were suspicious.

jonisayi.maromo@iol.co.za

IOL News  

Get your news on the go. Download the latest IOL App for Android and IOS now.