News

Three arrested over the brutal murder of Nigerian Bolt driver Isaac Satlat in Pretoria

Jonisayi Maromo|Updated

Police have arrested two more suspects in the murder of Bolt driver Isaac Satlat, bringing the total number of accused appearing in court to three.

Image: Facebook

The net is tightening in the murder of Nigerian Bolt driver Isaac Satlat, with three suspects scheduled to appear before the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Monday, after the South African Police Service confirmed two more arrests in the case.

In previous reports, IOL detailed how the 22-year-old was allegedly attacked after responding to a ride request in Pretoria West on Wednesday, 11 February 2026. His hijacked vehicle and his body were later found abandoned in Atteridgeville on the same day.

A 25-year-old woman was initially arrested on Friday, 13 February 2026, in connection with the killing.

On Monday, Gauteng police confirmed that two additional male suspects, aged 30 and 26, had been arrested and would join the woman in court.

Gauteng provincial police spokesperson Colonel Mavela Masondo said investigations were ongoing and that officers were still searching for another suspect.

“The police have arrested two more suspects after an e-hailing driver was allegedly killed on Wednesday, 11 February 2026. The two male suspects, who are aged 30 and 26, will join the third suspect, aged 25, who was arrested on Friday, 13 February 2026,” Masondo said.

“All suspects are expected to appear before the Pretoria Magistrate's Court on Monday, 16 February 2026, facing charges that include car hijacking and murder.”

The family of murdered Bolt driver Isaac Satlat says the 22-year-old’s killing was an act of criminality, not xenophobia.

Image: Facebook

Masondo added that police are still on the lookout for a fourth suspect believed to be linked to the crime.

The killing sparked widespread outrage after a disturbing video linked to the incident circulated on social media. Police previously warned members of the public against sharing the footage, saying it could hamper investigations and retraumatise the victim’s family.

IOL reported earlier that Satlat’s family has since publicly rejected speculation that the murder was a hate crime targeting Nigerian nationals living in South Africa, saying he was the victim of criminality and urging the public not to turn the tragedy into a South Africans versus Nigerians issue.

Investigations continue.

jonisayi.maromo@iol.co.za

IOL News  

Get your news on the go. Download the latest IOL App for Android and IOS now.