Africa Media and Communications Forum chairperson Elijah Mhlanga says repeated court delays have deepened the anguish of the families of murdered journalist Aserie Ndlovu and his partner Zodwa Mdhluli.
Image: Screengrab/X
One year after the brutal murders of Pretoria-based journalist Aserie Ndlovu and his partner Zodwa Mdhluli, the Africa Media and Communications Forum (AMCF) has condemned repeated court delays in the case and called for urgent intervention to ensure justice is not further stalled.
In a statement marking the first anniversary of their deaths, AMCF chairperson Elijah Mhlanga said the matter has now been postponed no fewer than 14 times in the KwaMhlanga Magistrate's Court, where five men stand accused of the double murder.
“Today marks one year since the tragic and brutal killing of Aserie Ndlovu and Zodwa Mdhluli, whose lives were violently taken in an act that shocked the nation and left their families, colleagues, and communities devastated,” Mhlanga said.
Community radio journalist Aserie Sibusiso Ndlovu and his partner Zodwa Precious Mdhluli were brutally murdered .
Image: Facebook
As previously reported by IOL, Ndlovu and Mdhluli were reported missing on February 18, 2025, before their remains were discovered on May 8, 2025 — nearly three months later — following what authorities described as a kidnapping and murder.
Five suspects were arrested in May 2025 and have since appeared several times in the KwaMhlanga Magistrates' Court. However, the case has been repeatedly postponed for further investigations and procedural matters, prolonging the wait for trial.
“The repeated delays have compounded the pain of the families affected and have raised serious concerns about the efficiency, urgency, and commitment of the criminal justice system in handling this matter,” Mhlanga said.
Veteran journalist and seasoned communications strategist, AMCF chairperson Elijah Mhlanga
Image: Facebook
He stressed that each postponement represents more than a routine court entry.
“These are not just dates on a court calendar, each postponement represents a prolonged period of anguish for the loved ones who continue to wait for accountability,” he said.
Mhlanga added that one year later, the families remain without closure, while the memory of the victims risks being overshadowed by what he termed systemic inaction.
“We call on the relevant authorities, the prosecution, and the courts to ensure no further unnecessary postponements occur. Justice delayed is justice denied — and one year is already too long,” he said.
The late Aserie Ndlovu in the company of friends and colleagues Lesego Mathibela and Khaya Khumalo at the African Media and Communicators Forum's end of year networking session in Midrand, in December 2024.
Image: Jonisayi Maromo
The AMCF also used the anniversary to announce plans to launch the Aserie Ndlovu Bursary Fund, an initiative aimed at supporting qualifying young people who wish to pursue careers in communication and media.
“At a time when Aserie’s family and community continue to seek justice, this bursary fund represents a powerful act of remembrance — transforming grief into action and loss into lasting impact,” Mhlanga said.
The late journalist Aserie Ndlovu having a light moment with media colleagues Zodwa Mtshweni at the African Media and Communicators Forum's end of year networking session in Midrand, in December 2024.
Image: Jonisayi Maromo
The forum said full details of the bursary and its partnership with a communication and journalism training institution will be made public in due course.
The murder case is expected to return to the KwaMhlanga Magistrate's Court on a date yet to be confirmed, as the families of Ndlovu and Mdhluli continue to wait for the case to move beyond repeated postponements.
In December, IOL reported that the disappearance and murder of Ndlovu and Mdhluli was one of the events which shocked South Africans in 2025. What began with a missing-persons alert evolved into one of the year’s biggest criminal investigations, multiple arrests, forensic breakthroughs, public mourning — and a prolonged journey toward justice.
The late Aserie Ndlovu having a light moment with veteran journalists and colleagues Karabo Ngoepe and Khayelihle Percy Khumalo at the African Media and Communicators Forum's end of year networking session in Midrand, in December 2024.
Image: Jonisayi Maromo
The disappearance 18 February 2025
Ndlovu and Mdhluli were last seen on February 18, 2025, leaving their home in Mpumalanga in a white Volkswagen Citi Golf. When they failed to return or make contact, their families and colleagues quickly became alarmed.
The case gained widespread media attention, with calls to the public for any information.
The investigation expands
In May, IOL reported that the African Media and Communicators Forum and the National Press Club jointly called on national police commissioner General Fannie Masemola to personally intervene in the ongoing case of missing journalist Sibusiso Ndlovu and his partner, Zodwa Precious Mdhluli.
At the time, Mhlanga expressed concern over the slow pace of the investigation and the lack of communication or progress in the case.
The late journalist Aserie Ndlovu with media colleagues Belinda Pheto and Zodwa Mtshweni at the African Media and Communicators Forum's end of year networking session in Midrand, in December 2024.
Image: Jonisayi Maromo
In the weeks that followed, specialised police units from Mpumalanga and Gauteng — including cyber-crime, organised crime, and serious violent crime divisions — were deployed to investigate the case, reflecting its perceived complexity and urgency.
First arrests announced
On 5 May 2025, police arrested four suspects in connection with the disappearance. The men were believed to have had contact with the couple, and investigators seized two Volkswagen Citi Golfs suspected of being linked to the case.
The seizure of vehicles and parts raised serious concern and pushed authorities to treat the case as more than a missing-persons matter — pointing instead to kidnapping, hijacking, robbery and possibly worse.
A fifth arrest confirmed
On 7 May 2025, Masemola confirmed a fifth arrest, saying five suspects in total had been detained across different villages in KwaMhlanga. They faced multiple charges: kidnapping, carjacking, house robbery, possession of suspected stolen property and vehicles, as well as drug-related charges.
Masemola said police had recovered two VW Citi Golfs allegedly fitted with parts from Ndlovu’s vehicle and household items believed stolen from the couple’s home, including a fridge, stove, microwave, blankets and other goods.
Despite the arrests, the couple remained missing at that stage — but the development was nonetheless hailed as a breakthrough.
The late journalist Aserie Ndlovu posing for a picture with veteran communications specialist Motlhabane Skade at the African Media and Communicators Forum's end of year networking session in Midrand, in December 2024.
Image: Jonisayi Maromo
Bodies found in Rust de Winter, 8 May 2025
In a major development, law enforcement discovered human remains in a remote, bushy area near Rust de Winter, on the Limpopo–Gauteng border. The site was identified by one of the suspects in custody.
The remains were taken for forensic testing. The discovery triggered a somber wave of grief and fear. Media-freedom groups sounded warnings, and civil society demanded accountability.
DNA confirmation
On 4 June 2025, DNA tests confirmed that the bodies were those of Ndlovu and Mdhluli, officially ending months of uncertainty for their families and the public.
Authorities also confirmed recovery of the suspected stolen vehicles and property, strengthening the case against the arrested suspects.
Tributes and public mourning 18 June 2025
A tribute ceremony was held in Pretoria by the African Media and Communicators Forum and the National Press Club. Journalists, colleagues, family and friends gathered to honour Ndlovu and Mdhluli’s memory. Speakers condemned the violence and urged justice, while media-freedom organisations pressed for the protection of journalists.
On 21 June 2025, Ndlovu was laid to rest in KwaMhlanga, on what would have been his 39th birthday. Mourners remembered the pair as dedicated, kind and full of life — and expressed enduring grief and outrage over their violent deaths.
The case was flagged for transfer to the High Court given its gravity.
jonisayi.maromo@iol.co.za
IOL News