News

MPs demand action after an unroadworthy bus carrying 45 undocumented migrants stopped

Hope Ntanzi|Updated

The Portfolio Committee on Home Affairs has called for stronger accountability measures after authorities intercepted unroadworthy buses in Limpopo transporting undocumented passengers along the Malawi–Johannesburg route.

Image: Supplied

The Portfolio Committee on Home Affairs has called for stronger accountability and consequence management against officials of the Border Management Authority and the Cross-Border Road Transport Agency following continued interceptions of unroadworthy foreign buses transporting undocumented immigrants in Limpopo.

Chairperson of the committee, Mosa Chabane, made the call while joining an enforcement operation led by the Department of Transport and Community Safety in Limpopo, together with Limpopo Police Provincial Commissioner, Lt Gen Hadebe.

IOL previously reported that a bus travelling from Malawi to Johannesburg was stopped near Polokwane after traffic officers found it carrying 90 passengers despite being licensed for 70.

On Monday, authorities intercepted another unroadworthy bus on the same route carrying 75 passengers, of whom 43 were undocumented.

“It is unacceptable that despite the mandates of the two agencies, incidents of foreign buses transporting illegal immigrants continue to be intercepted within the country.

''The two agencies must adopt a zero-tolerance approach to this illegality,” Chabane said.

He said the Cross-Border Road Transport Agency had for some time indicated it would take a hard-line stance by withdrawing permits from bus companies found to be transporting undocumented immigrants.

“This year alone, numerous bus companies have been intercepted transporting illegal immigrants. There appears to be no follow-through in enforcing the law, which is unacceptable,” he said.

Chabane further noted that despite funding challenges facing the Border Management Authority, the continued illegal entry of foreign nationals remains a serious concern.

He called for stronger consequence management against officials allegedly facilitating such activities, saying enforcement must be decisive.

“Where there is illegality, it must be met with decisive law enforcement and consequences. We cannot and will not accept the subversion of our laws for nefarious and selfish ends,” he said.

Chabane welcomed the work of the South African Police Service (SAPS) in intercepting the bus and called for a more coordinated and intelligence-driven approach to curb the trend.

He added that the use of unroadworthy buses to transport undocumented migrants also poses serious road safety risks and contributes to fatalities on South African roads.

The Limpopo Department of Transport and Community Safety confirmed that the intercepted bus was escorted to the Polokwane Traffic Control Centre for further processing.

Immigration officers later established that 45 passengers did not have valid documentation to be in the country.

The department said alternative transport would be arranged for passengers legally in the country, while those without documentation would be escorted back to the Beitbridge Border Control Centre for deportation proceedings.

“The 45 passengers without documentation will be escorted back to the Beitbridge Border Control Centre for deportation proceedings,” the department said.

The matter remains under investigation by the South African Police Service and Immigration Services.

IOL News 

 

Get your news on the go. Download the latest IOL App for Android and IOS now.