Sixteen African National Congress councillors from the embattled Vaal region have escalated their rebellion against party leadership, marching to Luthuli House on Monday to submit a damning memorandum accusing senior regional leaders of political purging, governance interference, corruption, and collapsing service delivery.
The dramatic escalation follows an unsanctioned press briefing held last Thursday, May 14, where the councillors publicly admitted that service delivery in Emfuleni, Sedibeng and Lesedi municipalities had collapsed, while pleading with President Cyril Ramaphosa to authorise a Special Investigating Unit (SIU) probe into alleged corruption and maladministration.
In a memorandum addressed to ANC Secretary-General Fikile Mbalula and the party’s National Executive Committee, the councillors accuse the ANC Sedibeng Regional Executive Committee of undermining internal democracy through intimidation, victimisation and entrenched factional control.
“This climate has effectively collapsed internal democracy within the region and reduced the organisation into a machinery of intimidation, patronage, and factional control,” the memorandum reads.
The councillors further allege that ANC Sedibeng regional secretary Jason Mkhwane unlawfully interfered in municipal governance processes and orchestrated the removal and redeployment of councillors without following proper procedures.
“We are speaking about maladministration. We are speaking about the issue of corruption,” one councillor said during last week’s explosive media briefing.
The memorandum also raises allegations of membership manipulation, abuse of disciplinary processes and political interference in municipal administration, claiming outspoken councillors were sidelined for raising concerns about failing service delivery.
Among the councillors allegedly targeted were Moipone Modikeng and Lulama Gamede, who the memorandum claims faced disciplinary action after challenging their removals through the courts.
The group further alleges that wards represented by councillors viewed as critical of regional leadership were deliberately disadvantaged in service delivery programmes and municipal interventions.
The councillors have now demanded that the ANC national leadership urgently dissolve the current Sedibeng Regional Executive Committee and launch independent investigations into allegations of corruption, governance failures and organisational misconduct.
They also called on Ramaphosa to urgently sign an SIU proclamation into Emfuleni Local Municipality, arguing that communities continue to suffer while infrastructure collapses.
“It’s very painful to be a ward councillor when you move in your community,” said Ward 36 councillor Mpho Kodisang during last week’s briefing.
Residents across Emfuleni have for years complained about sewer spillages, water leaks, potholes, illegal dumping and deteriorating infrastructure.
Mkhwane previously distanced the party from the media briefing, warning that the councillors’ conduct was not sanctioned by the organisation.
“All ANC councillors are bound by organisational discipline, caucus processes and the code of conduct signed by public representatives,” Mkhwane said.
The councillors, however, insist their actions are aimed at defending the integrity of the ANC rather than weakening the organisation.
“We do not seek to weaken the movement, but rather to defend its historic mission, constitutional character, and moral standing before society,” the memorandum states.
Responding to the allegations contained in the memorandum, Mkhwane rejected claims that he had improperly interfered in organisational or municipal governance processes.
“The ANC is a democratic organisation governed by its constitution, organisational processes, collective leadership, and established disciplinary and governance frameworks,” Mkhwane said.
He denied accusations that decisions relating to deployments, governance and disciplinary matters were manipulated by individuals acting outside party structures.
“I categorically dispute claims that I have interfered improperly in organisational or governance processes or acted outside of established procedures,” he said.
Mkhwane described some of the allegations as “distorted” and “politically motivated”, adding that several of the matters raised were already subject to internal organisational processes.
“Any suggestion that a single individual can independently manipulate these processes misrepresents both the nature of ANC organisational practice and the institutional governance framework within municipalities,” he said.
He also cautioned against internal political disputes being played out publicly, saying it risked undermining organisational unity and public confidence in democratic institutions.
“It is regrettable that internal political differences are increasingly being projected into the public domain in a manner that risks undermining both organisational unity and public confidence in democratic institutions,” Mkhwane said.
Despite the growing tensions in the region, Mkhwane said the ANC in Sedibeng remained focused on organisational renewal, governance stability, service delivery and preparations for the upcoming local government elections.
The Star
masabata.mkwananzi@inl.co.za